I have been volunteering at the Greater Chicago Cage Bird Club (GCCBC). This is a marvelous rescue where all sorts of birds (particularly parrots) can stay, and potential adopters can come to visit.
Big Bird (above) is a Monk Parakeet who loves to mumble and laugh.
Vegan since 2013. Here are some of my favorite recipes!
Savory roasted tempeh
- 2 pkgs tempeh
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp lime juice (or lemon if you don't have lime)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves minced or crushed garlic (or more!)
- Unwrap and rinse the tempeh and cut into bite size chunks
- Steam the tempeh pieces for at least 10 mins
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (marinade) in a bowl
- Once the tempeh is done steaming, dump it in with the marinade and mix to coat
- Marinate for at least 30 mins (the longer the better), occasionally stirring to re-coat the tempeh
- Sometime while the tempeh is marinating, preheat the oven to 375 F
- Arrange the tempeh on a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins
- Flip the pieces and bake another 5 mins or until nicely browned
Vegan caesar dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours and drained
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more!)
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (or other mustard + a teeny swirl of maple syrup)
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 T. olive oil
- Throw everything in a blender and blend until smooth
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge
- 3 c. all-purpose or bread flour (can also use 1/2 c. whole wheat and 2.5 c. white)
- 3/4 tsp. yeast
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
- 1.5 c. lukewarm water
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl until yeast is uniformly distributed
- Mix in the water until everything is uniform and the dough forms into a clump or ball
- Cover with a towel and let sit 6 h or longer (overnight is perfect)
- Preheat oven to 450 F with a dutch oven inside
- Take out the hot dutch oven and sprinkle a little flour into the bottom (prevents sticking)
- Scrape the dough ball into the dutch oven
- Cover and bake 25 min
- Uncover and bake another 15 min
- 8 smallish carrots/4 big carrots
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. seaweed seasoning (usually kelp flakes, sesame seeds, and a little salt)
- Alternative: pulverize some nori sheets or other dried seaweed
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. olive oil
- Red onions
- Dill (pref. fresh)
- Cream cheese
- Tomato slices
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Wash the carrots and using a sharp knife, slice lengthwise into as thin strips as possible.
- Toss the carrot strips in a dutch oven with all the seasonings.
- Cover and bake until all the carrots are soft (about 20 - 30 min). For best results stir a couple times throughout the baking process.
- Makes enough for ~8 bagel sandwiches; will last a couple weeks in tupperware in the fridge.